Saturday, October 30, 2004

WhY dO pEoPLe LAbeL tHemSeLveS?

Why do people label themselves? I've been thinking about this ever since I read the article that was written by Megan at her site, Starlight.


I guess they label themselves as they are insecure about themselves and have difficulty in finding their own identity. And another reasons I guess is because they considered themselves cool if they are a part of a group or category.

If you are at loss of what I meant by label, I meant the categories like Goth, punk, prep, etc etc.

It's quite stupid really. You are not expressing yourself if you are only doing things that you are categorized in.


"Pretend for a moment that you're a "punk" or "goth" and you think you're really cool because of your label. The reason you labeled yourself is because you fit into that certain "category" right? Now how is that being original? If you dress just like all the other "punk" or "goth" people, act the same way, and listen to the same music, are you really being yourself?"
This is what Megan wrote. Think about it. She made a good point.

As you don't consider the people who are not in your category "cool", people might be hurt and angry, and there will be hatred and loathing, which, I think, is terrible.

And if you are against labeling, get this blinkie from Starlight.


No comments: