Tuesday, June 14, 2005

LoveLy MemorieS

I just came back from the airport. We went there to meet our relatives who are departing for Jeddah. We did not stay long though, as my sister had to meet a friend. So my father sent her to Parkway Parade and me home.

On the way home, we took a route that bypass my primary school best friend's house at Amber Garden. To my pleasant surprise, my father remembered. "Turn left and you will reach Scarlett's house right? Amber Garden?" he said.

Then we drove pass the old Haig Girl's School (my primary school). I looked at the creepy building and felt a pang as I remembered myself as a kid (7 and 8 years old) in that eerie building. The times when me and my friend played there, the times when our imagination ran wild on every rainy day, the times when we hung out at the bookshop buying some mumbo jumbo there, the fun we had.

I remembered once when it rained and flooded. We were having Malay lessons in the small building separating from the main building itself. Some of my friends were excited and gave excuses that they wanted to go to the toilet, so they can walk barefooted in the flood. I did nothing of the sort though.

I used to miss my school bus a couple of times because I was in the canteen, where it was located at quite a distance from the gate. Luckily though, I managed to get a ride from one of my friends or another.

Then we passed the new Haig Girl's School building, of which I studied there when I was 9 - 12 years old. I gazed at it, and felt another pang. It was so deserted, so peaceful. That was the building in which I had made real friends. The 3 of us did everything together. We were, as you can say, inseparable.

There was one period of time, in the holidays, in which we had to come back to shool. It was Primary 6. Me and Scarlett, being animal lovers, often come earlier to meet the 4 dogs that were always walking and playing in the field nearby. Raki, a lovely golden retriever, and Spot, an energetic King Charles Spaniel, belongs to one family. A black French bulldog and another little brown dog, forgot what breed, belongs to another. I forgot both of the dogs name, pity.

Spot and Raki lived in a big house behind our school, that overlooked from our classroom. We sat beside the window and often gazed out, searching for the dogs in the big garden. When we heard a sharp bark, we would immediately crane our necks to see the garden below.

If only Prim ary 6 was forever....

No comments: